Ballinascarthy Win First Title

By Cairbre

Memorable Occasion but not a classic | October 1st 1978

Ballinascarthy 0-9        Carbery Rangers 0-8

1978 Team: Back L-R: Paddy O'Flynn, Frank, Sean, Jimmy & Liam Deasy, Tony Ryan, Ned O'Flynn, John O'Donovan, JJ Walsh, John Ryan & Teddy Cullinane.

Front: Benny O'Flynn, Richard O'Flynn, Patrick Nyhan, Jerry Ryan, Donal Hurley, Teddy Holland (capt), Denis Slyne, Ger Holland, Donal Nyhan, Facthna Murphy and Michael Ryan


Ballinascarthy won their first junior South West Cork football title when they beat Carbery Rangers (whose last win was in 1940) in the final at Sam Maguire Park, Dunmanway, last Sunday. It was a memorable final in many ways with the first half belonging almost completely to Ballinascarthy and they were in no way flattered by the 0-7 to nil lead, but on the turnaround the Rossmen took over with even more effect for twenty minutes. However when they should have thrown the killer punch they allowed Ballinascarthy to steady, and the latter held on grimly to win, though a ball off the upright in the last minute denied the losers an equaliser, and a chance to fight again. Taking the game overall I feel Ballinascarthy just about deserved to win as even if they did fall back for most of the second half, over the hour they did play most of the good football.

In the first half Rangers seemed to be a bundle of nerves and clearances, sideline kicks and frees were misplaced with regularity while the ball rarely passed the Ballinascarthy centrefield and the latter's forwards squandered two good goal chances which would really have tied up the game. In fairness to the losers they buckled to the seemingly impossible task in the second half, and at the three quarter stage I was not giving much chance to Bal to survive but they showed fine reserves of energy which resulted in a few counter attacks being initiated and these brought the precious two points which just kept then ahead in a rip-roaring and tension-ridden finish. Classically it was not a great final but the whole hearted endeavour by both sides pleased the big attendance and some time individual performances could compare with the best we have seen.

The captain of Ballinascarthy Ted Holland gave as fine a display as he has ever given either for the honour of the little village or for Carbery. Right from the start he had a voracious appetite for the ball, he always popped up in the right place be it in attack or a little defence, but was never missing when needed in the midfield, where he completely dominated in the air. He distributed the ball with great effect and contributed no less than six points himself.

In the second half his play and influence was not so strong when Rangers started to fight back but having recovered somewhat from the effects of a knock his contribution in the last seven or eight minutes was in-valuable and he was indeed man of the match.

In the first half Bal seemed a team of all talents but flaws were exposed in the second half. Thought the forward missed some good chances I liked particularly the play of young Jerry Ryan at wing forward and J.J Walsh at full forward who was always in the thick of things and deserved to achieve more than he did. Jim Deasy particularly in the first half gave a brilliant display at left half forward. John O'Donovan gave Teddy great assistance at centre-field where Carbery Rangers were in trouble for most of the game.


 Anthony Calnan who had not been getting enough to do at centre-forward for Rangers, was switched to centrefield, and made a difference, but it was robbing Peter to lay Paul, and I believe a switch of Tony Murphy to wing forward would have paid better dividends. In effect Tony Murphy got his fine points in the second half from a wing forward position. After a quiet first half he contributed a lot to Rangers fight back.

The Ballinascarthy defence was not tested in the first half but the half back line tidied up the little they had to do effectively. Liam Deasy being a very sound centre back weill flanked by Richard Flynn and Frank Deasy, while behind them in the closing stages the full back line was stretched well, and Ger Holland was probably the most effective in the rugged exchanges. The Ross defence came under a lot of pressure but I thought Fin Hayes had a great game, with John Hodnett not far behind and Michael O'Hea though well tested did well enough at full back. John Santry, doubtful starter through injury scored two points in the second half, the second one being a classic long range distance effort, the best score of the game. Donal O'Brien tried very had and Pat Kelly if he had been placed or played to more effect was capable of scores. Two former Cork senior players were involved in the game, Gene McCarthy for Rangers and Facthna Murphy Ballinascarthy. The latter came on as a sub and achieved more than the Ross man who was substituted.



The game itself became very rugged at times but in general it was played in a sporting spirit and there was a good feeling between players and spectators when it was all over. Mick Brosnan did a good job as referee, while the arrangements were very good and the Dohenys club deserves special tribute for the excellence of the pitch, which was a delight to look at and a pleasure to play on.

The win must have been a great moment as for such as Dan Murphy and others who kept the flag flying over the years in Ballinascarthy as they always seemed destined to be all time glorious in defeat.  This time however rags turned to riches and it was a popular victory. Sympathy too must go to Rangers to be so enar after waiting since 1940 , butb there can be only one winner, and the team is young enough to come again.



Jimmy Deasy had the first point for Ballinascarthy after two minutes and after Bal missed a great chance of a goal Teddy Holland had a point in the eight minute. Donal Huely then had a point in the 10th minute and before the 20th minute Holland scored from a free and a 50. Jerry Ryan then had a grand point and in the 26th minute Holland pointed from a free. The half time score was 0-7 to nil.

Within a minute of the restart tony Murphy served notice that Ross were not done yet when he had a point from play. Five minutes later John Santry had a point a two minutes after Donal O'Brien had another. In the 42nd minute, Murphy had another and one more two minutes later and there was only two points in it. At this stage Rangers did not drive home their advantage and Bal came back for Teddy Holland to score a point from a free with eleven minutes to go. Again Tony Murphy had a point and then John Santry's great point seemed to herald victory or a draw for Rangers. Agina however Holland made it more difficult with another point after a scramble in the Bal goal nearly resulted in a score at the other end. In the last five minutes or so Rangers piled it on and again Tony Murphy sent over from a free. The last desperate assault just failed as the ball struck the upright and shortly after the referee blew for time.

Ballinascarthy - J Deasy 0-1, T Holland 0-3(3Frees) (50) D Hurley 0-1, J Ryan 0-1. C Rangers - T Murphy 0-5 (0-1 free) D O Brien 0-1, J Santry 0-2.


Teddy Holland captain, was presented the Little Norah cup from divisional chairman Sean Crowley



Ballinascarthy - Donal Nyhan, Ger Holland, Edward O'Flynn, John Ryan, Richard O'Flynn, Liam Deasy, Frank Deasy, Teddy Holland , John O Donovan, Jerry Ryan, Sean Deasy, Jimmy Deasy, Donal Hurley, J.J Walsh, Denis Slyne Subs: Fatchna Murphy for Denis Slyne.


Carbery Rangers: J Collins, J Hicks, M O'Hea, F Hayes, J Hodnett, MP Hicks, T Hayes, T Murphy, JJ McCarthy, D Brien, A Calnan, J Santry, G McCarthy, P Kelly, T Hayes. Subs: G Wycherley for G McCarthy.

West Cork Final - 1983

Ballinascarthy            1-09              Gabriel Rangers        2-05

Played in squally conditions at Rosscarbery Ballinascarthy staged one of the greatest comebacks seen in the history of this competition. Trailing by eight points at half time they dominated all sectors of the field in the second moiety. In particular the midfield area in which John O Donovan was a colossus and produced one of the best individual displays seen at this grade.

Bal played against the wind in the first half and early scores by Jim Deasy and Kevin Ryan put them two points up. However Gabriels against the run of play struck for a goal after a mix up in the Bal defence. Bal conceded a second goal from a penalty and three further points to leave the half time score 2-05 to 0-03.

On the resumption Ballinascarthy aided by the breeze took complete control in all sectors of the field. Mid way through the second half Gabriels in one of their rare assaults into the upper goal failed to score when one of their forward line was through on goal with only the keeper to beat. The ball was saved and cleared down the field. This was a defining moment in the game. Bal continued to shoot points and reduce the lead to three by the fifty minute mark.

It was O Donovan's long distance delivery with the aid of the breeze which was to prove the decisive moment in that second half after 51 minutes of play. The ball rebounded off the keeper's body and onto the ground where its momentum seemed to help it cross the line. The in-rushing Ger Holland who came on as a substitute ensured that both he and the ball finished in the back of the net. Bal finally secured the winning point when Jimmy Deasy rifled over with just five minutes to go to secure the Little Norah cup for only the second time in the clubs history.

Team:Patrick Nyhan, Tim O Donovan, Frank Deasy, Tony Ryan, Mick Ryan, Liam Deasy, John Kingston, John O Donovan, John O Brien, Jimmy Deasy, Paddy Crowley, Kevin Ryan, Richard O Flynn, Gerry Ryan, Gerry Deasy. 

Subs: Ger Holland for John Kingston, Dermot O Brien for Frank Deasy (inj)


Scores: John O Donovan 1-1, Jimmy Deasy 0-2, Kevin Ryan 0-2, Mick Ryan 0-2

Richard O Flynn 0-1, Jerry Ryan 0-1